Extreme high temperatures are expected here in Perth, Western Australia, for the next few days. Dressing stylishly and keeping cool at the same time can be challenging – although not as challenging for me as stopping my make-up from sliding down and ending up on my chest somewhere! But that’s another blog…..
Here are my six top tips for cool dressing:
- Pick your fabric. Choose from cotton, linen and viscose rayon because they absorb moisture and allow air circulation. Avoid synthetics, silk and wool.
- Hang loose, mother goose. Choose breezy dresses over tops and pants. Avoid wearing tight or clingy clothing and go for looser, flowing garments.
- Go light. Dark colours absorb heat so wearing white, beige and pastels will keep you cooler.
- Wear Sunscreen, hat and sunglasses. Okay sunscreen itself won’t cool you down, but it will prevent sunburn. And sunburn is hot. This heatwave is going to last a few days, so if you get sunburnt on the first day, you will be more uncomfortable during the following days. Choose a paper or straw hat for air circulation.
- Go sleeveless. Avoid underarm sweat stains. If you’re self-conscious about your upper arms, deflect attention away by highlighting your wrists – wearing bright, big bangles will draw eyes.
- Flat Feet – Heat makes feet swell, so avoid heels and go for pretty, flat sandals.